The dot brand observatory is our research programme about brands that own their new domain extension. The observatory features a summary of the present landscape of branded TLD activity, from a global standpoint and identifying the main trends:
- What are the naming strategies for the brands second level domain names
- What usage for these new domain names . beyond the basic and mandatory nic.brand page :
- Shortcuts to access other content and domain name (3163 out of 4802 )
- Actual real website ( 567 out of 4802 )
- Traditional technology ( Apache, IIS and IBM webservers / php or ASP etc. ) are suited for dor brand websites
- How branded domain names are ranking in Search Engines
- Most brands are using as their “main” welcome page the domains home and group
- And many other questions
We also identify the performance of the brands regarding five key criteria –
- Search optimisation and performance, looking at the number of links that point to websites within the dot brand environment
- Content hosted in the corresponding domain names, from
- Volume – i.e. number of domains registered by brands
- Taxonomy – Most domain names are geographic related, and the most popular language is english. only a few brands are using multilingual domain names.
- Popularity – Are many end-users using dot brand domains ? This is very much related to the awareness of new domain names. Most popular domains are mabanque.bnpparibas, banco.bradesco and blog.google.
We also look at detailed brand strategy – what do they chose to launch first ? Transactional websites, marketing websites, or micro-sites for campaigns ?
Discover on observatory.domains, to get some inspiration for your teams, to benchmark your own strategy and thought process, or to understand better this new world and environment.